Old-fashioned doughnuts

Saturday, November 21, 2009


My Mom & Nana used to make these old fashioned doughnuts when we where kids.
These old-fashioned doughnuts are a heavy cake-y type. After cooking them, you can coat them with a cinnamon/sugar mixture or icing sugar. (Or, if you have lots of time, you could ice the tops.)
These are quite yummy.
Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp shortening

1 cup milk
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 1/2 cups flour

Beat eggs, then add the sugar and shortening. Slowly add milk and lemon juice and stir to mix. In a separate bowl, loosely mix the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add to the egg mixture and mix well.

If you'd rather not roll out the doughnut shape, you can add carefully drop in dough using two tablespoons. Use an amount of dough equal to a bit smaller than a golfball. They'll cook up great and taste just as good!

The dough is not a stiff dough, but rather a very soft one. Sprinkle flour onto the counter top and drop out some of the dough. (I just put my hand into that bowl and pull out a good handful then let it drop into the flour.) Because it's a soft dough, you can just spread it with your hands and flatten it to about 3/8 of an inch thick. Make sure you sprinkle more flour on the top of the blob of dough before spreading it or it'll stick to your hands!

Cutting the dough: I used an old Doughnut cutter that I got from my Mom. A cookie cutter in the shape of a doughnut helps.
Carefully slide them into the hot oil, using a metal lifter. Let the doughnuts cook until a good golden brown, then flip over to cook the other side. I don't like to flip mine too often so I keep to just doing it once. (Saves getting splashed in oil.)
Ok I went a little off of my regular diet menu, but after all it is the holidays!























0 comments:

Cooking Fresh Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino